Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ninja skills are better than experience



"Well, it's been my experience, that experience for the sake of experience, usually isn't a very good experience at all. Unless there's a reason for your experience, a purpose, or you learn something from it, then, well, there's not much point."

Bernard Walton. Adventures in Odyssey, Episode 274: First-hand Experience.

Ninjutsu is undoubtedly the most important something I have learned in Japan. Nay, it is the most important thing I have learned in life. I owe the success in my daily life to my deftness in Invisible.

Adventures in Odyssey
is one of those haunts from childhood that never quite leaves you. This quote was playing in my mind the other day. I've since worked this into my short answer to the ubiquitous question, "So why did you come to Japan?" Er, the part about learning things I mean.. I've come to learn new things. It's true.

THE PHOTO: We visited the Iga Ninja House in Mie prefecture late last summer. We underwent an intense day of ninjutsu training--instruction in the shuriken/ninja star arts and advanced sneakiness techniques--as well as received professional advice in ninja tourist hachigane/forehead protectors. My hachigane, of course, hangs by my door, ready in a moment if there be a requirement of my ninja skills.

3 comments:

Becky said...

aahh ... so I was wondering about my mothering skills, you know, if I had somehow not put enough in or left those drafty holes people are always worried about ... but I see all is well ... God has rescued you from me and is making you what you ought to be;)
You made my day~much love your, mum

Unknown said...

Do you remember my sometimes telling to get your room Ninja clean? (like you were never there?)

Ruthie said...

^_^ and er.. i am still a working on mastering that ninja art...

 
free hit counter
can you count?
get hit counter html code
a new way to say i like origami fish purple.com japan is pretty great i'm glad you like to read. and choose this blog to read.